NATO’s Military Exercises and Operations
“NATO Secretary General participates in Global Coalition ministerial meeting in Rome”
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg participated in a meeting of foreign ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat Isis in Rome on Monday, June 28th 2021. The meeting was co-chaired by Italy and the United States.
“Admiral Rob Bauer begins his tenure at Chair of the NATO Military Committee”
- After being elected in October of 2020, Admiral Rob Bauer of the Netherlands Navy took over as Chair of the NATO Military Committee, where he will serve a three year tenure.
“Ukraine, NATO launch joint Black Sea drills”
- Beginning Monday, the Sea Breeze 2021 maneuvers commenced involving the US, NATO allies and Ukraine in the Black Sea. US Navy Captain Gantt highlighted this exercise emphasizes the “commitment to ensuring free access to international waters.”
“Chair of the NATO Military Committee, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach completes his mandate - ‘We must work together to protect our values and the global world order’”
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach ends his three-year tenure today, 25 June 2021. During a climate in which threats and challenges from both state and non-state actors have created an increasingly unstable global security environment, Marshal Stuart Peach led the Military Committee which oversaw these aforementioned threats.
“United States to keep about 650 troops in Afghanistan after withdrawal”
- Around 650 U.S. trips are expected to remain in Afghanistan to provide security for diplomats and other U.S. officials, after the main troop withdrawal that will take place in the next two weeks.
Political Elements of NATO
“NATO strengthens its partnership with Mauritania”
- With NATO civil and military officials completing a trip to Mauritania strengthening the scope of their political discourse and “practical cooperation”, further developing their long-standing relationship.
“France and the U.S. Agree on the Perils of a Rising China, Blinken says”
- After Secretary Blinken met with President Emmanual Macron of France, where Macron said France should be less dependent on the U.S., the two countries agreed on their shared concern of a rising China.
“NATO strengthens cooperation between intelligence and security community and Centres of Excellence”
- On June 24th, 2021 Deputy Assistant Secretary General for Intelligence Major General Jürgen Brötz conducted a second annual meeting between intelligence and security Centres of Excellence and NATO’s intelligence and security organizations. This meeting was meant to increase cooperation, opportunities for training, and finding common interests.