“Refugees and Asylum-Seekers in Turkey: Challenges, Opportunities, and Approaches”
Program Dates: July 18 - August 15, 2018
As the Syrian civil war approaches its seventh year, Turkey continues to host growing numbers of refugees. In 2016, Turkey was host to 2.7 million registered Syrian refugees. In 2017, that number grew to 3.4 million Syrian refugees. In addition, Turkey remains host to more than 350,000 Iraqi, Afghan, and Iranian asylum-seekers.
The THO Summer Research Program in Turkey is an annual, all-expenses-paid, month-long research trip in Turkey, during which selected young researchers will participate in meetings, excursions, and fieldwork on a chosen subject. The 2018 theme is “Refugees and Asylum- Seekers in Turkey: Challenges, Opportunities, and Approaches,” which will give students and recent graduates the unique opportunity to learn firsthand about refugees, humanitarian aid, and how Turkey manages the humanitarian crisis.
During the month-long program, participants are required to conduct a modest research project on a subject of their choosing in relation to the program theme. One outstanding researcher will be awarded a small grant to carry out a more in-depth collaborative research project with peers in Turkey.
Upon return to the U.S., participants will complete their projects by September 28, 2018. These projects will be published on THO’s website and promoted through THO’s networks. THO will also organize public events in D.C. or elsewhere in the U.S. to highlight the projects and/or the experiences of the participants.
- Applicants must be a current university student (undergraduate or graduate) or recent graduate (within one year) between the ages of 21 and 30. Applications from individuals below the age of 21 will not be accepted.
- Applicants must also be American citizens and possess a valid passport by July 18, 2018.
- Students must be in good standing with their institution and must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Completed application (on page three)
- Written essay (prompt available on page four)
- At least one professional and/or academic written recommendation
- Please have your university or alma mater send your current or final university transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org OR to the following physical address:
Turkish Heritage Organization
1250 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 202
Washington, D.C, 20036
If you have any questions, please contact THO Program Officer Caysie Myers via email at email@example.com.
See PDF file below