- “Chair of the NATO Military Committee visits Turkey”
Admiral Rob Bauer, Chair of the NATO Military Committee, visited Turkey and met with Turkey’s Minister of Defense and Chief of Defense to discuss the situation in Afghanistan among other issues.
- “NATO Secretary General sets out arms control priorities”
NATO’s Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg reaffirmed the need for cooperation to uphold the Non-Proliferation Agreement and arms control more generally, particularly as countries like Russia and China expand their arsenals.
- “NATO calls on Russia to be transparent with military exercises”
NATO’s Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, emphasized the importance of transparency pertaining to “Zapad-2021” exercises. According to NATO Review, in Zapad-2017, Russia only declared a fraction of the troops it deployed.
- “NATO seeks more Afghan evacuations”
As Turkey and Qatar look to maintain Kabul airport’s operations, NATO’s Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, has promised to continue working to evacuate those Afghans who have aided the NATO mission in Afghanistan over the last 20 years.
- “NATO Secretary-General: Taliban must make good on their commitments”
NATO’s Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, participated in a virtual meeting on Afghanistan with other Foreign Ministers, where he praised the positive effects of NATO presence in Afghanistan, and called on the Taliban to uphold their commitments on terrorism, human rights, and safe passage for those who wish to leave Afghanistan.
- “Deputy Secretary General welcomes Ghanaian Defence Minister at NATO Headquarters”
As NATO allies seek new relationships in Africa, Deputy Secretary-General Mircea Geoană met with Ghana Defense Minister Nitiwul at NATO Headquarters to discuss the possibility of cooperation between NATO and Ghana in the future.
- “NATO chief presses China to join talks on nuclear arms limits”
NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, has called on China to participate in international discussions on arms control and castigated the country for their continued building of missile silos which greatly increase China’s capability to expand their nuclear arsenal.
- “NATO’s Deputy Secretary General stresses the importance of NATO-EU cooperation and complementarity”
NATO Deputy Secretary-General, Mircea Geoană, spoke positively of efforts by some EU member states to increase defense spending, and called for increased EU-NATO cooperation in areas such as space, cyber security and the pandemic, which will strengthen the alliance.
- “NATO Military Chiefs of Defence Conference to be held in Greece”
From September 17 – 19, NATO’s Military Committee will meet in Athens, Greece for their conference, hosted by General Konstantinos Floros. Among the wealth of topics discussed will be the initiatives of NATO 2030, missions, deterrence and defence posture, and operations.
- “Chair of NATO Military Committee, Admiral Rob Bauer, attends Black Sea and Balkans security forum in Bucharest, Romania”
Admiral Rob Bauer visited Bucharest, Romania on 3-4 September 2021. He participated in the fifth edition of the Black Sea and Balkans Security Forum 2021 during which he emphasized the increase in possible threats from all sides of the region and pointed out that the Alliance can have more than one regional military response in play at any one time and added that all of these responses need to complement each other.