NATO’s Military Exercises and Operations
“US and allies fly over NATO countries in message to Putin”
- The US and its allies launched a large-scale mission with 20 NATO nations, the mission involved flying over NATO member states to send a message to President Vladimir Putin of Russia.
“NATO announces nomination of General Philippe Lavigne, French Air and Space Force, as Supreme Allied Commander Transformation”
- On May 28th, the North Atlantic Council approved the nomination of General Philippe Lavigne; he will assume the role in September 2021.
“Foreign and Defence Ministers meet ahead of NATO Summit”
- Ahead of the Summit of NATO leaders on June 14 in Brussels, NATO Foreign and Defence ministers will meet virtually on Tuesday (June 1st), they will focus on the NATO 2030 initiative, NATO’s engagement in Afghanistan, and developments in Belarus and Ukraine.
“NATO chief says Afghan exit going well as 6 die in attacks”
- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the military pullout from Afghanistan is going well, NATO now believes the ‘government and armed forces it has trained are strong enough to stand on their own.’
“Russia to form twenty new military units in west to counter NATO”
- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu made an announcement stating that the Russian military will form 20 units and formations in the West Military District, claiming deployments of NATO warships ‘destroy the international security system.’
“Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin’s Participation in the Defence Ministerial Hosted by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg”
- Secretary of Defence Lloyd J. Austin III participated in the NATO Defence Ministerial on June 1st.
“US offers ‘alternatives’ to lift S-400 sanctions on Turkey”
- Washington imposed sanctions on Turkish officials in December 2020, and Turkey was removed from the fifth-generation F-35 fighter jet program. The US offered alternatives and laid out the steps Turkey should take to end sanctions, Turkey finds the proposals dated.
Political Elements of NATO
“Turkey’s president says NATO summit with Biden to mark new era”
- Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan says his meeting with President Biden at the NATO summit will mark a new era for US-Turkey relations, he is aiming for a $100 billion trade volume between the two countries.
“Secretary General lauds UK’s role in NATO, discusses Summit plans with Prime Minister Johnson”
- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg held talks with Prime Minister Boris Johnson (UK) on Wednesday, he named the UK as a key ally ahead of the NATO Summit on June 14th.
“NATO Defence Ministers address Afghanistan and the NATO 2030 agenda”
- On June 1st, NATO defense ministers met virtually and discussed the pathway forward in Afghanistan, they highlighted readiness and agreed that continued support for the Afghan government and people.
“NATO Defence Ministers endorse new policy on preventing and responding to Conflict-Related Sexual Violence (CRSV)”
- On June 1st, Defense Ministers agreed that sexual violence used as a ‘tactic of war or terrorism, has devastating consequences on individuals, families, and entire communities.’ NATO endorsed a new policy that lays out actions to be taken to prevent this reality.
“NATO restricts HQ access for Belarus officials”
- NATO is restricting access to its headquarters for several Belarus officials following Minsk’s decision to divert a passenger plane with intent to arrest an opposition journalist.